The Vatican announced this week that Pope Francis will be releasing another encyclical on the environment on October 4, the Feast of St. Francis. This new papal letter—what some news outlets are calling Laudato Si’ Part II or Laudato Si’ 2.0—is exciting news, indeed. With the increasing challenges of our planet’s climate emergency, and so many major weather events this year impacting so many around the world, this encyclical is very timely and much needed. Here are a few recent news stories related to this new development:
- Earthbeat/National Catholic Reporter: “Pope Francis' new environmental exhortation to be released on Oct. 4”
- Catholic News Agency: “Pope Francis to release second Laudato Si’ on Oct. 4”
- Vatican News: “Pope Francis: Second Laudato si' to be published on 4 October”
We have an entire section of our site dedicated to Pope Francis' first historic encyclical on the environment, with a wealth of multimedia and print material, as well as an extensive YouTube playlist.
But here is a short list of essential resources related to Laudato Si', as a bit of a refresher before the new one is released:
- Full text of Laudato Si'/On Care for Our Common Home at the Vatican website.
- Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim. “Integrating Ecology and Justice: the Papal Encyclical.” Quarterly Review of Biology (Vol. 91, No. 3), September 2016.
- Laudato Si' FAQ from the Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology
- The Laudato Si' Movement
“Pope Francis' Encyclical: Climate Change Evokes Moral Change”
St, Thomas More Chapel & Center, Yale University
Tags: Feast of St. Francis, Laudato Si resources, Laudato si' Part 2, Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology