Faith-Based Organizations (FBO) have been recognized by the UN system as key and important players in eradicating poverty, improving people’s health, protecting the environment, and thus achieving sustainable development. In many countries, spiritual beliefs and religion are main drivers for cultural values, social inclusion, political engagement, and economic prosperity. Utilizing the dynamics of these beliefs at the local level and the role of faith actors is crucial for sustainable development. Conserving the environment has not been absent from the focus of faith-based organizations.
The engagement of Faith actors in Stockholm+50 will advance the key role religious leaders play in forming and impacting 85 per cent of the global population who believe in a faith or a religion. Activities will include establishing an interfaith working group to support faith communities understanding and engagement on issues related to the international meeting. Priorities will be identified through a survey targeting faith communities aimed at understanding their perspectives. Several workshops will also be conducted to discuss these perspectives. These discussions might result in an interfaith perspective on “the Stockholm+50 we want”. Inviting high level faith leaders to address the conference either in person or through recorded video messages would add legitimacy of the moral approach of Stockholm+50. Meanwhile, creating a social media pulse will engage millions of faith followers and expose them to the overall goals of Stockholm+50.
Potential activities for engaging faith leaders:
- Establish an interfaith working group to support faith communities understanding of and engagement on issues related to the international meeting.
- Launch a survey among faith communities to understand faith perspectives.
- Conduct several workshops to discuss faith perspectives.
- Issue an interfaith perspectives on “the Stockholm +50 we want”.
- A session at the Faith for Earth Dialogue on Stockholm+50 during UNEA5.2 in February 2022.
- Participation of high-level faith leaders either in person or via video recordings (based on availability of funds) in the Stockholm+50 high level dialogue.
- Encourage Faith Based Organizations to create and share testimonials (posts, photos or videos) on their contribution to the SDGs and Stockholm+50.
- Encourage Faith Based Organizations to create and share testimonials (posts, photos or videos) on how they plan on contributing to the creation of a healthy planet and prosperity for all.
- Launch of a global social media campaign.
- Other ideas might emerge from the working groups.
- Faith for Earth Dialogue Session on Stockholm +50 – March 4th, 2022, at 16:00 – 17:30 PM Nairobi time
- SMC Global
- GGKP / Green Forum
- Brahma Kumaris DK
- Stockholm International Water Institute Siwi
- Lärkarmissionen Sweden (LM)
- Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA)
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- World Council of Churches (WCC)
- Global One 2015
- World Evangelical Alliance (WEA)
- International Aid Services (IAS)
- Center for Earth Ethics
- Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life (COEJL)
- Pentecostal Mission Development (PMU) Sweden
- Islamic Relief
- Svenska kyrkan / Act Church of Sweden
- FaithInvest / Faith
- Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development (ICSD)
How to get involved:
- Please send an email of your interest to the Faith for Earth Team.
Image Credit: Stockholm+50Tags: Faith-Based Organizations at Stockholm+50